Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Big Decisions

I don't know what to do. Should we, in the space of a month, sell our house, move an hour north to a tiny but cute place in Sonoma County? I'm not kidding. My job is going to (maybe) 50%, and John's work is here and there, dribs and drabs. In order to retain that 50% and the (very expensive) health care that comes with it, I will have to commute an extra hour and a quarter. This will only be two days a week, for now, but I don't know how long now will be. And if work expands? How would I deal with a three day commute schedule of that nature?

I'm trying to get other work, of course. I get very positive responses to my resumé.

We could delay the decision, but the pristine little cottage could go. And October is the prime month to sell a house in San Francisco. We have lived in our house almost 21 years.

Any thoughts? My dear sweet friend and manager says not to do anything hasty, and I promised her I wouldn't. But then, I don't know.

4 comments:

Robert said...

Moving to Sonoma County sounds idyllic, but ay! that commute! It would be about 100 miles, wouldn't it? 100 miles each way! Maybe wineries need technical editors.

Unknown said...

Well, they don't seem to need photographers -- not when their brothers-in-law can grab shots with their iPhones. Do I seem bitter?

We're going to stay put, for now, if only because of the "shared well" on the property. And who knows? Maybe I'll get more hours back eventually.

Meantime, we are going spare, cutting back on everything. Today was our first day w/o a newspaper.

Leslie said...

Oh dear. I've been thinking about you both. And Miss Greta. I hope you get more work, and John does as well.

The money thing really sucks. The economy scares me.

Sigh.

Unknown said...

Thanks for thinking of us, Leslie. It feels good to know that people care.

(And while you're here, you should know that I can get into your blog from my work computer, but not from this, my home computer. Is there anything that you can do?)

We're doing well at cutting back expenses. With a little (a lot?) of luck, we may ride it out. But it's pretty grim to learn that California is going to lag the nation in recovery. I'm sure folks think we all live the high life and deserve that.